You may have noticed the symbol below on a shelf you own and wondered what this “NSF” was… a brand? a government agency? a meaningless string of letters? Read on to find out more about what NSF means to you!
1. NSF is a certification, not a brand.
Shelves that are approved by the National Sanitation Foundation will bear the circular symbol, making it easily mistaken for a brand logo.
2. NSF stands for National Sanitation Foundation.
3. NSF-approved means the shelving is safe for use in sensitive industries such as food and medicine.
To be NSF-approved, a product must undergo extensive testing and material analysis to ensure that it is completely safe for these important fields.
4. NSF is not a life-long certification
NSF-approved products must also pass annual unannounced inspections to keep the certification. If the product ever fails to meet one of these standards, the NSF is proactive about taking actions to protect the consumer through recalls and public notification.
5. NSF Shelving comes in many varieties, including wire, plastic, and aluminium
Learn more about NSF certification